To get more vegetables into your diet try Vegetable Tacos
One great way to up your vegetable intake is with vegetable tacos. Roast some of your favorite vegetables (coat in olive oil and spices then roast at 425 degrees until tender), wrap in a warmed corn or whole grain tortilla, and add some hot sauce and/or a squeeze of lime juice. Some vegetable taco combinations that work well include:
- Sweet potato roasted with cumin and garlic. Add black beans, avocado, cilantro.
- Butternut squash roasted with cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Add white beans, muenster cheese, green onions, cilantro.
- Cauliflower and/or Broccoli roasted in garlic, turmeric and black pepper. Add parmesan or cheddar cheese, white beans, shredded red cabbage, green onions, cilantro or parsley, red pepper flakes.
- Eggplant and cherry tomatoes roasted in chili powder and cayenne pepper. Add chickpeas, bell pepper, red onion, parmesan cheese.
- Fresh spinach sautéed in olive oil with salt and garlic. Add chickpeas, red onion, parmesan cheese.
- Portobello mushrooms and cherry tomatoes roasted in garlic and black pepper. Add red onion, verde (tomatillo) sauce, avocado, parmesan cheese.
- Lentils, onion, roasted red bell pepper, spinach, cumin, turmeric, garlic, parsley or cilantro.
Hopefully these will give you some ideas and you can use your imagination to come up with your own delicious combos.
Photo used with permission from the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Photo taken by Mackenzie Comstock