To help clients keep track of my recommendations and ensure they are remembering all the principles of a bone healthy diet I suggest they use this daily checklist to evaluate how they are doing:
1) Did you have 25 to 30 grams protein at each of your 3 meals, or meal/snack combos?
2) Did you get 1200 mg. calcium in no more than 500 mg. increments?
3) Did you eat at least 9 servings of fruits or vegetables?
4) Did you have a good source of K2, like eggs or cheese? Blue Cheese, Brie, Camembert, Crème fraiche, Limburger, and Mascarpone are excellent sources. Monterey Jack, Havarti, Gouda, Swiss, Cream cheese, Parmesan, Cheddar and Fontina are good sources. Fat free cheeses are not a good source of K2.
5) Did you have a Brazil nut to get your selenium and strontium?
6) Did you eat some nuts and seeds?
7) Did you include some Prebiotic containing foods like asparagus, garlic, onions, leeks, sweet potatoes, barley, flax, whole grains, and bananas.
8) Are you choosing whole grains over refined grains?
I hope this helps you with your bone healthy diet.
posted on 5/20/2021